Federal drug charges encompass a range of offenses related to the possession, distribution, trafficking, manufacturing, or cultivation of controlled substances. These charges fall under the jurisdiction of federal law enforcement agencies, such as the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Unlike state-level charges, federal charges are prosecuted in federal court and can lead to life-altering penalties, including incarceration and significant fines.
As a former prosecutor for almost a decade, federal drug crimes Attorney Pedro Bernal, Esq. at Bernal Law knows the strategies prosecutors use and how these cases are investigated. With our focused knowledge and experience, we can increase your chances of a favorable outcome. We have provided legal guidance to countless clients, aggressively defending their rights and freedom. If you have been charged or are being investigated for a federal drug crime, contact our San Diego federal drug charges lawyer to discuss your case.
State Drug Crimes vs. Federal Drug Crimes
Most drug crimes are punishable under state and federal law. According to the DEA, the following circumstances are typically charged at the federal level:
- The drug crime occurred on federal property
- An overt or undercover federal agent made the arrest
- Charges involved the trafficking and distribution of large amounts of controlled substances
- Controlled substances were sold or manufactured
- A federal informant turned in the offender
- State and federal governments decided the case should be tried at the federal level
The following drug crimes can also be charged at the federal level:
- Simple drug possession
- Drug manufacturing
- Conspiring with those who possessed drugs
- Drug trafficking
- Selling to minors
When facing federal drug charges, the importance of working with a qualified drug crimes lawyer in San Diego cannot be overstated. Don’t risk your freedom by representing yourself or gambling on an unproven San Diego federal drug crimes attorney. At Bernal Law, our dedication to your case may have a considerable impact on the outcome, potentially leading to reduced charges, minimized penalties, or even a dismissal.
Penalties for Federal Drug Charges
Generally, federal drug charges have mandatory minimum sentences, which means the prison sentence cannot be reduced beyond a specific number of years, even if the judge is willing to lower the sentence due to favorable circumstances.
The following are common sentences for federal drug crimes:
- Trafficking 1000 kilograms or more of Marijuana: At least 10 years, but no more than life in federal prison
- Trafficking 100 to 999 kilograms of Marijuana: At least 5 years, but no more than 40 years in federal prison
- Trafficking 50 to 99 kilograms of Marijuana: No more than 20 years in federal prison
- Trafficking 100 to 999 grams of Heroin: At least 5 years, but no more than 40 years in federal prison
- Trafficking 1-9 grams LSD: At least 5 years, but no more than 40 years in federal prison
It’s important to note that aggravating factors such as the presence of a weapon, whether someone was harmed, and a previous criminal record will increase penalties.
Potential Defenses for Federal Drug Charges
The most common criminal defenses used in federal drug cases include the following:
- Illegal search and seizure
- Defective search warrant
- Insufficient evidence
- Illegal wiretap
An experienced San Diego federal drug charges lawyer at Bernal Law will analyze the facts and circumstances of your case, as well as the applicable defenses that may increase your chances of a favorable outcome.
How a San Diego Federal Drug Charges Lawyer Can Help Your Case
With the help of an experienced federal drug charges lawyer at Bernal Law in San Diego, you can rest assured that your rights and freedom will be protected from initial consultation to resolution. We are highly qualified to handle every aspect of complex drug crime cases, and we can provide you with:
- Focused knowledge and defense strategy: We understand the intricacies of federal drug laws, regulations, and sentencing guidelines. We can formulate a strategic defense tailored to the unique circumstances of your case.
- Investigation and evidence: We will conduct a thorough investigation, examining the evidence against you for any inconsistencies, inaccuracies, or violations of your rights. We may also gather evidence that supports your defense.
- Constitutional rights protection: We will ensure your constitutional rights are upheld throughout the legal process, including protecting you from unlawful search and seizure, ensuring due process, and safeguarding your right to a fair trial.
- Negotiations and plea bargains: In some cases, negotiating a plea bargain with federal prosecutors may be the best course of action. We can work to fiercely negotiate on your behalf to obtain a favorable plea deal that minimizes the severity of your consequences.
- Litigation and trial: If your case proceeds to trial, we will defend your rights and freedom in the courtroom.
We know your freedom and peace of mind are at stake, which is why we utilize our extensive resources and experience to fight for potential case dismissal, acquittal, decreased charges, or lessened prison time.
Contact the Federal Drug Charges Lawyer in San Diego at Bernal Law Today
If you are facing federal drug charges, remember that you do not have to navigate the legal process alone. At Bernal Law, we have years of experience mounting strong criminal defenses for clients in San Diego and surrounding areas. Our personalized legal guidance and tenacity can make all the difference in the trajectory of your case.